The province of Malaga is located on the coast, and it has the most beautiful beaches. Malaga is one of the main destinations to live, vacation, or see historical sites in the Andalusia region. Due to these wonders in this province, many people pass through Malaga airport, making it one of the five most-used airports in Spain.
At Marbella rent a car, we care about your safety, comfort when renting a car, and support when arriving at the airport. If you do not know the airport, the services it offers, its history and what is the best way to get out of there, don’t worry. We bring you the following guide to answer any questions you may have:
Basic airport information
Malaga-Costa del Sol airport is located in the Churriana district. It is one of the four busiest airports in all of Spain, reaching almost 20 million passengers in 2019. Its IATA identification is AGP, and ICAO is LEMG. Its location is quite beneficial because it is close to:
- Center of Malaga. Exactly 8 kilometers.
- Train station.
- Hotels with excellent prices.
- Bus route
- Taxi lines
- Car rental (it is the most recommended)
In the facilities of this airport, there are currently three terminals. Terminal 1 is closed because Terminal 3 was inaugurated in 2010. Terminal 2 underwent renovations, but now is an extension of Terminal 3, and Terminal 3 has piers B, C, D, and has 43 gates.
One of the most significant advantages of the Malaga-Costa del Sol airport is its services to passengers both outside and inside its facilities. Terminal 3 has everything you need to make a 4-hour wait seem like 40 minutes. There are third-party services outside the airport to make your arrival or departure from Malaga more comfortable. The most outstanding functions are:
At the Malaga-Costa del Sol airport, many shops sell clothes, suitcases, books, souvenirs, and food. Still, in these places, the regular taxes of the European Union (EU) are charged. However, there is a quick and easy way to get your tax money back for non-EU residents, and the requirements are:
- You must have a residence outside the European Union.
- Each purchase must be for personal and non-commercial purposes.
- You must leave the European Union within three months after purchasing the product.
- You will need the purchase invoices and the DIVA form.
- You will need the products to which the taxes will be refunded.
- Boarding pass
Currency exchange and ATMs
In every airport, some passengers intend to stay in the city, but they are not from the country. In that case, international ATMs or exchange offices are necessary to leave the airport quietly. Malaga-Costa del Sol airport could not be the exception, because they have:
- ATMs: 7 ATMs. There are three ATMs on floor 0 and 4 ATMs on floor 1.
- Currency exchange: 3 currency exchange centers. On floor 0 there are two centers, and on floor one there is only one exchange center.
- Pick-Up: 0 EUR
- Return: 0 EUR
- Early Pick-Up: 22 EUR
- Late Return: 22 EUR
- Mondays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Tuesdays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Wednesdays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Thursdays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Fridays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Saturdays: 08:00 - 22:00
- Sundays: 08:00 - 22:00
Nowadays, almost the entire population is continually communicating through the Internet connection, without counting on the amount of information that can be found and shared. Malaga-Costa del Sol airport has a free internet service for all passengers. However, there is also a router rental service on floor 0 and floor 1 for those who need constant internet stability.
When it comes to international flights, it is normal for there to be tedious layovers that last 4 hours or more; long lines to pass security filters, currency exchange, and VAT refunds. At this airport, there are many VIP services, but the most relevant are:
- Fast Lane: this exclusive service is used to avoid long lines in the security screening process. However, it must be previously requested at the airline where the trip will be made.
- VIP parking: it is a service responsible for looking for your car in the airport terminal and taking it to a safe place. However, it is necessary to have a return ticket to pick up the car again at the terminal.
- VIP Lounge: This is the most outstanding of the VIP services because it has a set of benefits that make waiting for the flight much more comfortable. They have reception and customer service, flight information, television, internet, free wifi, and a meeting area for busy business people. It can be accessed with a company business ticket or with a previous payment of the assigned, and the maximum rate time is 4 hours.
Car rental services
It is an external service to the airport but is an essential service for all the people who visit Malaga. Usually, this service must be requested directly at the offices of these companies. However, the best way to rent a car is by making a prior request and having the car brought to you.
Few companies offer this service, but Marbella rent a car is one of the most reliable and punctual companies in the market. Also, we have the most competitive prices in the market and extra services to improve customer experience.